The Queensland State Government is investing AUD $1.8 billion to build more than 5,000 extra homes, creating thousands of building and construction jobs in the region.
The Queensland State Government is investing AUD $1.8 billion
The 10-year housing strategy is hoped to provide families with stability while delivering affordable social housing.
The AUD $1.8 billion jobs strategy aims to will:
- build 4,522 new social homes and 1,034 affordable homes
- support 450 full-time construction jobs a year
- introduce inclusionary requirements for new dwellings on state land
- invest $20 million in constructing new Youth Foyers in Townsville and on the Gold Coast, commit $75 million to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander home ownership
- spend $30 million in reforming the housing system
- create shelter and homelessness hubs to improve service delivery
- strengthen consumer protection for retired people
The strategy will enable private sector and community housing to join in creating affordable housing and will use government land to encourage new private and community sector investment.
Minister for Housing and Public Works Mick de Brenni commented that refusing to privatise housing the government can provide new opportunities and construction jobs for local trades. “This massive investment will require an army of plumbers, carpenters, electricians, concreters, bricklayers and finishing trades”, said Minister de Brenni. Discover more construction jobs in Queensland.
Execute your project in Queensland on time by hiring skilled construction workers
Design & Construct can tailor a recruitment strategy designed to help you achieve your project goals. We are dedicated to understanding your needs and are committed to finding only the highest quality candidates to fill your roles.
- 12-month candidate replacement guarantee
- Unique approach to specialised candidate sourcing
- 95% of our business is repeat business
- 5% of our clients would recommend us
The state of Queensland. (2017). Retrieved 17 January 2017 from