Victorian state budget 2016/ 2017
Victoria is the fastest growing state in Australia and in order to maintain its current and long-term growth, $7.4 billion per year will need to be spent to realise its vision. The latest budget will boost the construction industry, with its major projects expecting to create more than 15,000 jobs in infrastructure alone.
Multi-Billion Dollar Metro Tunnel Out To Market
The guaranteed funding from the budget has given the market the stability it needs to enter the tender process. This significant initiative has piqued interest from some of the world's biggest construction and engineering firms.
The procurement process begins
A Public Private Partnership, expected to be in the range of $6 billion, will deliver the nine kilometre twin tunnels under the CBD and five new underground stations.
- Five new underground stations at Arden, Parkville and Domain and two new city stations directly connected to Flinders Street and Melbourne Central.
- Sixty - five brand new, high capacity trains will run on the line, freeing up more trains and more space all over Melbourne.
- It will mean more trains, coming more often, to more stations, which means less congestion in our suburbs.
- Early works begin next year, with the major construction delivered through this package to start in 2018 and the project set to create 3,700 Victorian jobs.
New investment - jobs of the future
The Budget allocates $297 million in sectors where Victoria has a competitive advantage to strategically targeted programs, which will help businesses grow and create the jobs of the future. It will be allocate in such areas as:
- medical technologies and pharmaceuticals
- international education
- professional services
- new energy technologies
- food and fibre
- new technology in construction
- transport and defence
The budget also includes more than $12.4 billion to set up job-creating projects and provide major investment to help workers gain new skills and enter new industries with confidence. The focus will be on workers in transitioning industries and everyone will be given the opportunity to learn new skills.
$924 million education investment will create more construction jobs
New buildings, new upgrades and new schools are to go head in the largest ever single investment by a Victorian government in school infrastructure. The Victorian School Building Authority will be established to deliver a new construction boom that will create jobs for construction workers and local trades.
The Education Package includes:
- purchasing of new land to build or complete 23 new schools
- establishing 10 new cutting-edge schools and universities across Victoria
- upgrading older schools
- creating community initiatives and building sporting facilities
Jobs at a glance:
- transport and education building projects will create thousands of construction jobs
- $325 million to boost jobs in regional Victoria, $111 million for new industries
- $53 million one-stop shop for job seekers
Looking to hire in 2016? Request a free consultation today
Do you have a future development that will need qualified and skilled workers? With vision and planning, we can help you identify today's talent for tomorrow's market. Contact us at Design and Construct to discuss any current or future recruitment needs you may have.